Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Better Than Life

This post, writtten by a guy I heard speak (but didn't meet) at the AAR Conference (an Olivet alumni no less!), has gotten me terriby nostalgic. I remember the first book I ever stayed up all night reading - The Great Gatsby, on Labour Day 2005, under the apple tree in my parent's back yard. When it got too cold and dark, I moved inside to the green-shag-covered living room. Daniel Pennac was right. Sometimes reading is "better than life."

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

It's a wonderful thing to think about, those times of reading straight through an incredible book.

Sadly, I don't get to do it often.

4:28 PM  
Blogger RW said...

I too, have wonderful reading memories. I enjoyed reflecting on this post. Thanks M.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Walter Mitty! That's hilarious. I love the cartoons based on those stories...

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like we have an old friend in common, namely Melissa Klaassen Frantz! Who knew? Crazy small world. I'd love it if you added my to your blogroll! Keep up the good work.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

You know Melissa? That's brilliant, Dan. Her and I were Regent-College groupie teenagers together, driving hours to Vancouver to attend these public theology lectures they offer on summer nights. I'll be sure to add you, Dan.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My worlds collide...so random. I can't say I remember Adam, but I know some of the people on his blogroll. Is he Orthodox?

6:35 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Hey there Jessica! That's right, I forgot you were an Olivet alumni! I believe he's Catholic.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home