Friday, November 24, 2006

Leithart on Radical Orthodoxy

Still processing the conference:

On Monday afternoon, I sat in on the crowded session reviewing a book entitled Theology and the Political: The New Debate. Basically, it seems to be a treatment of various issues in relationship between theology, Continential philosophy, and the political, associated with a theological movement known as "Radical Orthodoxy". The main figure behind this approach is Prof. John Milbank. If you're interested, see also this assessment in "First Things".

Until quite recently, I've not read much in this area, so it was excellent to hear from such important participants as Graham Ward and Conor Cunningham, who quite rightly reoriented the discussion away from Ontology per se and towards Christology and particularly, the Incarnation. Just before this session, at a previous session, I had the privilege of briefly meeting Prof. Peter Leithart. I think he was quite intrigued to hear that many of his books are being read by capital "O" Orthodox Christians. Leithart had this and this to say about these takes on "Radical Orthodoxy."

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I'm a big fan of Milbanks. I haven't read that book, but it's on my list of the ones I'd like to read. He wrote one of the essays in a book called "Theological Perspectives on Beauty" that is well worth your time. He was also one of the minds that help to shape the brilliant mind of David B. Hart!

I look forward to more of your thoughts toward this end.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Dan: yeah, my good friend Matthew Davidson has been proliferating Leithart around the West Coast. I've just read "Against Christianity." Worthwhile, I think, even if he is a "Calvinist."

Stacy: Prof. Milbank was at my friend Brandon's presentation on Bulgakov. Some important Christological correctives within Sophiology.

3:06 PM  
Blogger gabriel said...

Sounds fascinating. If I had more time to look at theology I'm sure I'd plunge in.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Dejan said...

Hey Matthew!

Long time no talk! I think you have a really great blog site here. I was especially interested in your trip to Washington and the forum there.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Hey there Dejan.

Great to hear from you! Thanks for dropping by. Hope you and yours are well out there in Lloyd! Stay warm.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home