Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Souvenir of Canada

Chimo!!! (Canadian for 'Aloha') Just finished watching "Souvenir of Canada" by Douglas Coupland. It somehow had a warm feel to it. It was neat to ponder on some of Canada's artifacts through the years. There is a great tribute to Terry Fox on this DVD and I have to say it was pretty moving. Coupland basically is showing the process of putting a "Canada House" together with white walls and purely Canadian items in it, Ookpik included (our national mascot...didn't you know?!?)... All in the name of the continuous search for our identity, which near the end was beautifully stated as our identity being that we are part of the land. The special features were also pretty fun, we particularly enjoyed the National Film Board (NFB) short clips. They are quite enjoyable...although I think Matthew remembers watching them back in school..Saskatchewan, or Saskatoon at least, must not have been quite as archaic as Chilliwack :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kassianni said...

cool! I read gen-x, but nothing of his since. this looks like a good read. I'll have to check out the library, see if they have it.
I love being Canadian, though I can't always define why in positive terms. it's usually defined by what we are not. we're not americans. or we're not ____.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

yeah, totally....I myself have not read the book, but Matthew said it's a really great read :)

9:32 PM  
Blogger kimberley francis said...

Rachel:
I liked in Microserfs when they'd do the random GAP checks.

Girlfriend in a Coma's real good too. I dig all the North Shore references.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home