Monday, June 05, 2006

Pandora's Box has been opened...

I write this from my hotel room in Canmore, Alberta...(down here for work). I just had a great evening's vist with our friends Dave and Sara (not sure if it's with an "h") down here. Suffice it to say, they rock. I've known Dave for a while from Calgary, and Krista knew Sara back in Saskatchewan. They gave me homemade yogurt with rhubarb! So good. They're expecting to become parents for the first time on Friday. God bless you guys!

Two things:

1) I have become quite enamoured with Pandora, "the musical genome project." Pandora is a website that allows you to type in a favourite band or song, and then it mysteriously creates a personalized radio station that plays music kinda like what you like. For me, it's like having one of those awesome friends around who always knows all the cool music that makes you say, "who is this?! I like this!" That's what Pandora does. So cool.

2) On the way driving down here I heard about these ridiculous art thieves in Britain that are stealing major public sculptures, such as Henry Moore's "Reclining Figure" (below). This has happened just recently. They come into parks, etc., with welding equipment, trucks, blocks and tackle hoists, and make off with their bounty. The thieves are not, however, trying to sell these large, mainly bronze, sculptures on the black market to art enthusiasts for the millions they are currently valued at. Rather, they are melting them down and selling them to scrap metal dealers! Is this not the most bizzare thing you've ever heard? I think I could have some sort of respect for these sneaky thieves if they were actually trying to try to get them into the art black market. That, at least, is somehow romantic, though I don't suspect it would be easy. Imagine: "Hey, buddy, you wanna buy a two-tonne bronze sculpture... it's in the back of my van..."

I remember vividly from childhoood the Henry Moore sculpture at Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver. How could someone steal something like that? Any ideas?

In the meantime, now that Pandora's box has obviously been opened, enjoy the music.

6 Comments:

Blogger kimberley francis said...

Thanks Matt. I typed in Sarah Vaughan. A perfect genre for the oldies here at the yacht club.

Cool!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Ochlophobist said...

Wow. Thanks for this. I typed Tim O'Brien and got a great set.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Tried to get into the "box" but apparently it's not available north of the 49th. Do you have dual citizenship? You must have an in with George W. I only got to listen to three songs and now I'm out in the cold. Do I have to leave Canada or what?

12:05 PM  
Blogger RW said...

It worked for Hannah two times; when she requested a third it asked her to register with us postal code - almost like hehas been banned by the site. She was most frustrated. But it is certainly very cool.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

It happened to me too!

Oh well.

2:10 PM  
Blogger layne (herman) said...

pandora is wonderful. it has exposed me to musical artists that i had not previously heard of, and it is kind of fun tweaking your "station" by giving the thumbs up/down.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home