Monday, February 06, 2006

Dinosaur Jr. is back together?

So how come I had no idea until now that Dinosaur Jr. had gotten back together? I guess last year they decided to reissue the old albums, and tour in the UK and Europe, and now that’s happening over here as well. I guess I am really out of the loop. But it makes me wonder if perhaps this is just "one of those reunion-nostalgia-filthy lucre tours." Ten years ago, Dinosaur was easily one of my top ten favourite bands, and the bass player Lou Barlow was equally my main musical hero when I was sixteen and seventeen. The story goes that J. Mascis and Barlow had a huge falling out, and this was largely responsible for the original departure of Barlow from Dinosaur Jr. to focus on what became his main band, Sebadoh.

Chaulk it up to adolescence, but I remember being totally enthralled by Sebadoh’s pop sensibility, particularly the album Bakesale (but I did also like Smash Your Head on the Punkrock, and developed a whole mythology around Lou Barlow. I remember saving every spare dollar to take on trips to Vancouver searching Track records for rarities and B-sides. And then Lou also had the side project Folk Implosion, that was also kind of interesting for a while. But I remember by the time I actually saw and met Lou Barlow, my enthusiasm had waned slightly, and I realized he was just an ordinary guy, making music and his way in the world. I still quite like Dinosaur Jr., though I haven't listened to them in a while. Maybe I will pull out my dusty old tapes of Little Fury Things... and yes, that is fury.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger kimberley francis said...

pleased for you matthew. hey, was it one of those times you scraped up your dollars to come in to look for vintage vinyl, that the steering wheel come right out while you were driving?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Actually that happened on my way to an NYI council meeting in Guildford! Good thing I wasn't downtown... I do miss that old Acadian though.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home