Thursday, September 28, 2006

so far...

Victoria has tagged me for this one, so here goes...

25 years Ago I...
- was three years old, lived in Trenton, Ontario with my Mom, Dad, and sisters Pam, Kim, and my brother Jeff;
- I had probably just started nursury school, Wednesdays and Fridays at Dufferin.
- my best friend was Darren Somerville and our hobby was general mischief;
- Little did I know at this time that we would soon pack up into a Ryder truck and move to British Columbia the week before Christmas, 1982. Or was it '83? I can't quite remember right now.

20 years Ago I...
- was eight years old, in Mrs. Wiens' class at Little Mountain Elementary School in Chilliwack, BC;
- had just made friends with Ryan Wugalter;
- had been baptized the previous summer by Rev. Dal Marston in the swimming pool at Camp Charis.

15 Years Ago I...
- was finally beginning to lose my baby fat;
- had my nose pierced in a daring act of self-promotion as part of my campaign for Student Council at Chilliwack Junior Secondary (which worked... I won!... Oh, the ecstasy of taking minutes about soc-hops and year-books;
- was beginning an idolatrous obsession with U2 (this was the year of Achtung Baby!).

10 Years Ago I...
- living on my own for the first time (albeit with strange roomates - Andrew, a lover of Christian thrash-metal and James, a body-builder from the Yukon),
- was beginning my first year of University
at the Nazarene College in Calgary;
- was listening constantly to Wilco's Being There;
- had a first girlfriend;
- had long been friends with
Gabe, and Kurt and Vic;
- was not eating well (Cream of Wheat and Apples) because I was spending all my grocery money on things like Rilke's Book of Images;
- got involved with starting
Trinity Church, and attended my first services at St. Peter the Aleut.

5 Years Ago I...
- Had just gotten back from almost two years of living in Manchester, England;
- Dr. Dave Neale offered me a sessional teaching job: a three-hour, once a week evening class at
www.auc-nuc.ca my old college called "Apocalyptic Imagination;
- Had several crazy part-time jobs, including for some highly neurotic Lithuanian lawyers that prohibited whistling;
- was living in Calgary, first with Tim and Tamara, then Katie and Blu, then John Hadley.

2 Years Ago I...

- had totally uprooted my life and moved to Edmonton;
- was working for a perfectionistic and gifted artisan baker;

- had met and fallen in love with the women I would marry;
- was finishing up working on a project with the iconographer Heiko Schlieper.

1 Year Ago I...
- was getting used to being married, and having a pretty intriguing, demanding, & satisfying job;

Yesterday I...
- made butter chicken from scratch;
- bottled ninety bottles of homemade wine.


Today I...
- had the morning off, slept in with Krista, then got up and made French toast;
- will rake the leaves;
- may finish The Brothers Karamazov.

Tomorrow I...

- will take it as it comes.





8 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I just love these mini biographies! It's such a great little insight to things you may not know about a person you think you know fairly well.

I had no idea you had yuor nose pierced! I can't even imagine that!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Wow! Great list. Love the mischief hobby!

I'm not a fan of Achtung Baby I think it's their weakest album. Having said that, "She Moves in Mysterious Ways" is one of their best songs.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Kassianni said...

highly neurotic Lithuanian lawyers that prohibited whistling.
priceless.
that was so cool to read. thanks for that mini-bio, matt.
I vote for a repiercing of the nose. I'd pay good money to see that. even a whole dollar! whaddya say?

4:12 PM  
Blogger Ochlophobist said...

A good life in outline form. I sense that gratitude that is the only way we really can respond to all those moments of grace that make up particular human existence, and heck, it makes me grateful for your life, and I have not yet met you. I pray thee many more years of it.

4:07 PM  
Blogger kimberley francis said...

a good read. life hasn't been boring, hey?

i wished you guys lived closer: 90!? bottles of wine. that's some serious gladdening of the heart there, matty.

1:25 PM  
Blogger myn said...

i love and miss you both!!!

i enjoyed writing my mini-bio...fun to reflect and see how far we have all come.

i was very proud to have you on the student council a CJSS...nothin like a good noon hour soc-hop!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

If you ever run for Prime Minister, let's hope the opposition doesn't uncover that part about you falling in love with the "women" you would marry two years ago. Makes you sound a bit like a polygamist. And, did you inhale that thing you had in your nose?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

yeah, who are these women, Matthew? thanks for pointing that out Ken ;)

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home