Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Currently listening to

After breakfast with Mike and Amy at Friends and Neighbours, Krista and I walked around Whyte Ave with them, checking out clothes at Nokomis and picking up some new music at Blackbyrd.



M. Ward's Transistor Radio has totally blown us away. Lush guitar sounds, sweet textured melodies. An all-around great record. There's this cool song about insomnia and being afraid of packs of wolves that totally reminds me of our camping trip to Pidgeon Lake last weekend.


On this 2003 disc from Sufjan Stevens, which is 100% brilliance, we keep listening to "Vito's Ordination Song," with lyics spoken from a Divine perspective. Reminds me of the tender language of Hosea the prophet.

More of the usual gold from Calexico, along with gorgeous artwork in the notes.

It all seems to be late-summer music. Perfect for the warm nights, which we've been often enjoying on the patio at www.hulberts.ca, a great new coffeehouse in our neighbourhood.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger kimberley francis said...

it was nice to have some lush guitar melodies around the campfire, and such beautiful songs, when i was out. let me know when amy's is released.

sufian's swans are everywhere right now it seems. it's been a bit of a soundtrack to my summer this year.

i'll check out m ward.
thanks.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I wish we could join you. Your post makes evennig time seem to relaxed yet fun at your house. We sure miss you guys!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Brannon Hancock said...

you have exceptional taste in music. I should've known, though, from the wilco reference in your blog's subtitle. I just bought, and have been spinning alongside the new Dylan album, Being There, which is not at all disappointing. M. Ward is a fairly recent discovery for me - I've mostly spent time w/ End of Amnesia and a few tracks from his latest, Post War. Would be nice to talk music and theology over a warm (or cold) drink - I hope the opportunity presents itself someday.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Amen! In the fullness of time (hopeully not to long...) Are you in Scotland or the States these days? My wife and I are planning to move back to Britain in '08.

Sounds good, Brannon. "Being There" was the soundtrack to my college years, and I still love it. Danced my first dance with my wife to "Far, Far Away."

Sweet.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Brannon Hancock said...

In Scotland right now until I finish up my PhD, which will hopefully (if the Lord tarries and the creek don't rise, or however the expression goes) be next summer. I'm in the process of applying for a few academic posts (incl. post-doctoral fellowships) for 07-08, all so far in the US, but there is always the chance that something would open up here in the UK that would keep us around a bit longer. 'Course, we'll probably make periodic returns, what w/ connections to Naz Theol College (where my wife is working on her MA, and she won't be due to finish up until 08), my dept at Glasgow, and various academic societies with which I am involved. So even if you wind up back here (UK) and I in the US, I'll probably be coming for a visit a time or two between 08-09. Anyway, let's keep in touch...

4:21 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Sounds good. Thanks for all your work on the Nazarene sites.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home