Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The One Book - Here it is, Victoria...

1. One book that changed your life:
The Book of Revelation (in the Bible)

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
For many years, I read The Great Gatsby every Labour Day, in honour of the fact that it was the first book I ever stayed up all night reading. And, of course, I am constantly reading Four Quartets.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Jesus and the Victory of God by NT Wright or perhaps A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (another favourite novel)

4. One book that made you laugh:
Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler. His last, greatest novel is heartbreaking but hilarious. I also stayed up all night reading this one. Killer ending.

5. One book that made you cry (at least on the inside):
Peace Shall Destroy Many by Rudy Wiebe

6. One book that you wish had been written:
The Real John Wesley: Up Close and Personal by Mrs. Wesley

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Kazuo Ishiguro's The Unconsoled At the end of its absurd seven or eight hundred pages (or whatever), I was supremely disappointed.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
The Nicene Faith by John Behr.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Silence by Shusaku Endo

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

"Peace Shall Destroy Many, by Rudy Wiebe"

Is that good? For $50 I bought 8 or 10 boxes of books at NUC left by John Luik and that book was included. Ha! Maybe I should read it.

Another gem I found in the boxes was Creation and Redemption, by Georges Florovsky.

Peace,

Eric

10:35 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Eric, both of those books are golden. That's funny though, because I too have a number of John Luik's books.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I've not read The Great Gatsby since High School, I should re-read it.

I've also read Ishiguro for the first time recently, but I should avoid that one, eh?

11:40 AM  
Blogger Kassianni said...

Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.
I couldn't even finish it, it was so bland.

5:29 PM  
Blogger cyrilla said...

Never Let me go... sounds like a plea "PLEASE don't put me down! Won't someone, anyone finish me?"

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home