Monday, March 06, 2006

Taking the plank out of one's own eye...


Methinks Good ole' Joe Brodsky writes well about the value of taking a good, honest, look at oneself. Not always a comfortable thing to do, by any means, but certainly a wholesome practice at this time of year. There's a time for everything: for forgiving others, and maybe even ourselves... and then, with a stroke of holy luck (a great phrase from Miles Coverdale), looking beyond ourselves and our dead-ends (circumstances!) to be present to the vitality constantly attempting to break in upon us.

6 Comments:

Blogger kimberley francis said...

i finally got around to watching walk the line on saturday night.

i love so many parts in it but one of my favorites is when the music producer asks johnny what his one song really is? to sort of cut the crap and really say what going on below, and what it was...was pretty much - a confession of sorts.

last night i came acrossed a calendar book i bought at the monastery down in yakima in 2004. i looked up to see what the first day after forgivenes vespers is called. it read "clean monday".

11:57 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

"Grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother." That poem made me think of the Great Lenten Prayer of St. Ephraim.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Adding to Krista's poem, I just read this interesting thought from Sara Grand:
"Our opinion of people depends less upon what we see in them than upon what they make us see in ourselves."
(That's why I need these shades.)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Adding to Krista's poem, I just read this interesting thought penned by Sara Grand:

"Our opinion of people depends less upon what we see in them than upon what they make us see in ourselves."

(That's why I need these shades.)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

You see...I stutter too.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

That is a very good point, Ken!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home