Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"Toward the Endless Day"

Very occasionally, I have the leisure to browse in libraries. Yesterday, while seaching for something, I had the serendipity to find Toward the Endless Day: The Life of Elisabeth Behr-Sigel. This biography of Behr-Sigel, written by Olga Lossky in 2007 and freshly translated into English, recounts the life of this intriguing theological witness to the 20th century.

I know very little about Madame Behr-Sigel and her theological vision, however my curiousity was piqued to discover that in the mid 1920's she became close friends with a young fellow student at the University of Strassbourg.

He later confided to her in a letter:
"Even with the faithful friendships of the Blanchot brothers and the relationships that one has at the Sorbonne, I sometimes feel very much alone. It's not a physical solitude nor, still less, an intellectual solitude - it's quite simply that, like a little child, I miss my mother. This sentiment of the depth and supreme value of the concrete, of the material and physical and palpably concrete, seems to me, more and more, to be the truth itself."

The pen-pal? None other than Emmanuel Levinas.





I think this biography will be a good read.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ochlophobist said...

Ha!

Fr. John Behr's interest in Levinas may not have been purely intellectual, it seems.

Thanks.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

It's all in the family.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Mr. P said...

mmm.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home