Monday, January 02, 2006

The Mightly Parkallen & Fraggle Rock



So there is this GREAT video store right by our place with a GREAT selection of Quality flicks....This place is called "The Mighty Parkallen"...da da da (eeerie, exciting tone). Anywhoo, we went in sometime last week after having seen a flyer in our mailbox (those little tree wasters can be informative at times). We were one of the first 100 customers (yay for us!), so we got to rent 2 DVDs for free. Then for 2 weeks we get to exchange those DVDs as often as we want for free as well (Me Loves Free! :). So it's pretty sweet and after that you can pay 20 dollars a month and do that same thing.....A young couple running the place with a cute little 3 week old baby.....awwww!!!

Well we had a little fondu at our place on New Years Eve. A cheese fondu and a oil fondu with veggies in a Tempura batter. It was a grand evening full of good times. We even indulged in a little watching of "Fraggle Rock" (which may well be as nostalgic for others as it was for us). We rented the first DVD of the first season. So essentially we watched the very first episode ever and then the very second episode ever.....a little cranium and a jolly good ol' time.

So buckle your seat-belts and remember: If you are ever in the Parkallen neighbourhood.....be sure to stop by "The Mighty Parkallen" da da da.....

Our other favourites right around the corner from us (and beside the video store) include: The Happy Garden (chinese....$1.75 for a great bowl of wonton soup), Ewe Asked For It (knitting shop...get it?), The Parkallen Bookstore, Buns 'n Roses (a great little bakery).

9 Comments:

Blogger kimberley francis said...

sounds like a nice new business to support. it's fun to encourage entrepreneurs.

fraggle rock...early 80's was it. i remember trying to tune it in on our little b/w tv, with the coat hangers and pliers etc to change the channel. fraggle rock was always worth the hard work to tune it in; sometimes pam or jeff would talk matt or i into taking turns holding something metal while touching the tv, to keep the reception clear. um...is that safe? :)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

I always remember the opening bits of Fraggle Rock and then having to go to Sunday evening Church! Same with Disney.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Gabe said...

i barely remember fraggle rock, but i love the part i remember.

3:22 PM  
Blogger myn said...

I LOVE THE FRAGGLES!!!! they were my FAVORITES!! i even dressed up like Red one year for a rowing party...wish I could own the series on DVD...brilliant invention those muppets/fraggles...

3:36 PM  
Blogger kimberley francis said...

were "doozers" the builders? what would they build with? was it called doozing?

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kassianni said...

FRAGGLE ROCK IS ON DVD?!?!?!?!?
Why did nobody tell me this?
I can hear the theme music now. Such a happy show. I loved the diggers, the little guys, whatever they were called.
I'm buying these as soon as I'm able. Now if only we could get the friendly giant on dvd...

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Well, The Muppet Show -- which is slightly more my generation -- was a hard act to follow. I was a bit bewildered by the Fraggles and even at my tender age I think I wondered what the makers were on (I confess to having already had encounters with what my mom referred to as "Big People Brownies" -- in all love and fairness she also made "Little People Brownies", but after a few BPB's -- who cares, man? Let's all eat everything!)I mean, little guys in hardhats making little glass or whatever buidings that you then /eat/? What the @%$#!

However, I got fuzzy feelings from Kimberley's comment about the pliers and the metal holding. Boy, those were the days. . .

8:11 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Yeah, Mat Jenny, I wouldn't be surprised if some BPBs were involved in the making of Fraggle Rock... I wonder if perhaps you've read "No Compromise: The Story of Keith Green," the famous Christian singer-songwriter of the late 70s? BPBs also feature prominently in his early creative period.

I've since recovered from all the metal-holding. Krista and I do still wrestle with bunny ears, though, for our peasantvision TV.

2:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

Apparently I'm right in your neck of the woods. I'm on 111 st and 65 ave right across from the park. I haven't been in to the Mighty Parkallen yet, but have the flyer on the counter and have been meaning to drop by.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home