Wednesday, November 23, 2005

SARAH SLEAN


The Sarah Slean concert last night was breathtakingly beautiful! Wow! It was so great to see her play again. We saw her last year around this time, when we were still in our engaged era, but this time around she was without a band of any sort....it was up close and personal. Just her and the piano...there was a dreamy and mystical feeling that night. I think it was the best concert I've ever been to and I would not just say that. She is such a great performer and I admire her stage presence immensely! Yup, if anyone reading this blog ever has the chance to see her live......I highly recommend going.....and if you already have seen her live, then you know what I mean.

She played all the good stuff...well, all her stuff IS good, but she seriously played, I think, every song that Matthew and I had been craving....yikes what a word to use, eh? but seriously it was edifying last night....and inspiring.....art, music, poetry....all that good stuff, it's an endless world of delight! Matthew and i bought a copy of one of her drawings, she is a great artist too....her poetry was also there.

She played songs from her newest cd "Day One", as well she played songs from the very first cd of hers that I had ever purchased some years back titled "Universe"....songs that she sang from that include 'Pie Jesu' and 'Mary.' She wrote the song mary about her grandmother, but I'm also convinced that unknowingly it refers to the theotokos too...she also sang from her album "Nightbugs" the songs 'book smart, street stupid', and 'Elliot' (Good ol' T.S :). She played one hymn ( it was beautiful) called 'Abide With Me' and in the encore she played 'Duncan' and finally concluded with 'sweet ones' (the audience all sang the little refrain echos of the song...it was fun!)

Book Smart, Street Stupid
Sarah Slean - Night Bugs

i was born by an old streetlight
where the men lean out of their windows at night
and i was a lead in the orphan choir
and i sang with all my might until i grew up too high

and oh the all the notes i used to play
on the double bass in the b-list ballet
with only the night bugs to lead me home
with their sad luck serenade

the rain was never ending
the sadness in my heart
would light and glow in the dark
oh this will never change
time just wears a prettier face
i'm book smart street stupid


so don't look for me in confession booths
with my paints and my pens and my dry vermouth
trying to uncover some small truth
with these cards close to my chest


the rain still never ending
the sadness in my heart
still lights and glows in the dark
oh this will never change
time just wears a prettier face
book smart street stupid


and the rain still never ending
the wonder in my heart
still lights and glows in
still lights and glows in the dark



Mary

She’s looking up and out to
A galaxy
A fateful boat trip 'cross a northern sea
And on a frosty window
She writes her name
O daughter, this is how she became

Mary
Go ahead and have your little baby
Mary
Toughest of the tough but still a lady

I’ve all the courage
I’ll ever need
I wax poetic on my enemies
The century is raging
But so are we
No matter what I know I ’ve got a
Symphony called

Mary
Go ahead and have your little baby
Mary
Toughest of the tough but still a lady

Out of dark days, stay up airplane
Take my last name, stay up airplane

Go ahead and have your little baby
Mary
Toughest of the tough but still a lady
Mary
Toughest of the tough

8 Comments:

Blogger Kassianni said...

I am jealous.
She was in vancouver just over a week ago, but it was during the week, so I couldn't go! *sob*

2:41 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Yeah, the show went REALLY late and Krista had to be up at 4:45am for her clinical... so it was a bit of a sacrifice, but totally worth it.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Kassianni said...

Mary
Go ahead and have your little baby
Mary
Toughest of the tough but still a lady


I loved these lines when I first heard the song, and thought the same...it must be about her!

3:49 PM  
Blogger biss said...

I'd never heard of her before! I love that line, "Toughest of the tough but still a lady." That is so essential, I believe, to a true princesshood!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Just heard an interview with her recently and was most impressed though I hadn;t heard of her before that. I will certainly check her oue now! In a similarly transcendently beautiful and humble vein, have you ever checked our Jane Siberry's work? And her live show is also incredible. My friend and I were pretty much crying through the whole thing last year from the beauty and genius of her. No money to go this year; I am gutted about that.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Okay nice amount of typos there in that last comment I made; time for bed I think.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Good typos for good measure! I love Jane Siberry's song "One more colour," but haven't really listened to too much more of her stuff. (I actually discovered that song because Sara Polley sings it on in the movie "The Sweet Hereafter." BEYOND, the Calgary magazine I write for from time to time, did a feature interview with her a couple of issues back, and she said some beautiful things.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

Jane Siberry...I'll definitely have to check her out. I don't think I've ever heard her stuff before and I'm always quite eager to feed my hunger for great artists. Thank you for telling me about her. We'll have to look out for her so that we can maybe see her if she's ever in the area.....Matthew tells me that I'll love that "one more colour" song....I will look forward to hearing her other stuff too.
I must say that I wept at the Sarah Slean concert....it was so captivating and her art is soooo true! You know when someone's art is true, it is just so sincere and truly Real! Actually, when Sarah came out out for the encore she too had tears....it was beautiful!

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home