Monday, March 02, 2009

"The Lenten Spring Has Come"

Many people are fasting from various electronic media practices, such as blogging, for Lent. I, on the other hand, am returning to it. For some time, Constantly Reading Four Quartets has existed in a state of benign neglect, like some forlorn neighbourhood, furtively visited.

Over the period of Great Lent, I hope to write more here again. There is a returning aspect to the Lenten season. Father Alexander Schmemman, in his Journals describes Holy Week in this way, that it is like a flowing river, to which the Church annually returns us. His words remind me of a text from the prophesy of Hosea:

"Come, let us return to the LORD;
for it is he who has torn, and he will heal us;
he has struck down, and he will bind us up.
After two days he will revive us;
on the third day he will raise us up,
that we may live before him.
Let us know, let us press on to know the LORD;
his appearing is as sure as the dawn;
he will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth."

- Hosea 6.1-3

This photo of His Beatitude, Metropolitan JONAH, was taken at the time of his consecration to the Episcopacy. I think it perfectly sums up the love that abides in Christ's Church. This image seems to me like an icon of the Good Shepherd. Metropolitan JONAH has some potent words for us all as we begin this season of repentance.


May God help us all, in practical and concrete ways, to strive for "whole-mindedness" and love. Forgive me, my brothers and sisters.


3 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth said...

welcome back.

Forgive me, a sinner.

ps: don't know if I commented before (?)... I know your sister K and have read your blog for sometime (or waited to read, I guess).

Take care.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Matt,

It just occurred to me to revisit your blog. I'm glad we've had the same thought.

Grace and peace to you this Triduum.

Eric

7:19 PM  
Blogger kimberley francis said...

what a beautiful image, matthew.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home