Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Currently listening to

My good friend Mike "T-Bone" Angus leant me this record last night. Brilliant, brilliant music. It reminds me of one of my favourite lines in High Fidelity when a girl comes into Championship Vinyl and asks the existentially in-the-dumps store owner "do you have Soul?"

Ray Lamontagne has soul. But not really James Brown style soul.

T-Bone was telling me that Lamontagne used to work in a shoe factory somewhere in the Carolinas, and then all of a sudden heard a Stephen Stills song one night while lying in bed, and he thought, "why am I not making music?"

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger matthew christopher davidson said...

Hey Matthew,

Thanks for the link to your friend's myspace. I added him to my friends. I like the music. i would love to hear Ray.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Kassianni said...

good tip. good music is a harder to find as I grow older, for some reason. maybe I'm just more picky (discriminating?).

9:13 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

i love hearing about the moments when a person realizes something and their whole life changes...

i see this longing for such a tranformation in so much of our world...

Bp. Alexander challenged us in Ottawa to let Christ become the icon within us; the challenge for transformation...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Thanks guys.

Mike's music is really beautiful. And quiet. His song "Evangeline" is almost hesychastic in its stillness and the way the words and music work together.

There is a line in it that goes:

"They covered you with a white sheet/
Such a beautiful scene/
To watch death settle over you/
Like snow on evergreens."

It sounds morbid until you hear it and then you realize that this song is such a beautiful example of what we call "joyful" or "bright" sorrow... the essence of that life-creating death we await through Lent.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Dan Morehead said...

Saw Ray a couple months back when he was here in Aberdeen. Good stuff. Liked the woman who opened for him as well: Leona Naess.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home