Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Dinner in Edmonton: Late Supper at the Flamingo


I've always dreamed of being a restaurant critic, or at least like reading restaurant reviews, so here goes nothing:

So last night after the service Krista and I went with her Mum and Dad and Fr. Dennis to the Flamingo for pizza. This is a sort of 'family restaurant' in the plaza across from Meadowlark Shopping Centre in West Edmonton. It was pretty good, but that's as far as I'd go. Spicy Italian sausage with a slight hint of anise. The Greek salad was sub-par, though. Too oily and there were only tiny shards of feta. I wouldn't suggest that if you try out the Flamingo. Fr. Phillip's souvlaki looked awesome. It was especially enjoyable to have Fr. Dennis come out because him and Krista's Mum and Dad have known each other forever (he's even distantly related to Krista's Mum somehow)... so it's a nice family atmosphere, and he always has a good story to tell. If you are looking for restaurants in Edmonton, I would recommend:

1) Churros King - Fantastic Chilean food. We went here with Derek and Sandra last Christmastime. Excellent fish and sandwiches... and of course the best Churros in the world for dessert, sometimes full of sweet dulce de leche.
2) Happy Garden Chinese - right around the corner from our house. Cheap, delicious, not greasy, and brilliant service. $1.75 for excellent won ton soup. This is where we go when we're not up for cooking after work/school.
3) Dadeos - great Cajun diner on Whyte Ave.
4) Flavours Bistro - Also on Whyte, a bit high end but worth every penny... Krista and I went here for a celebratory supper when I got the job I have now. Absolutely amazing food.
5) Gino's (great authentic Italian).
6) Oh yeah, the best Hot Chocolate I've ever had is at the Pomegranate Cafe attached to the Tree Stone Bakery on 99th Street. I used to work there. It is incredible. French or Belgian.

Okay, I won't quit my day job any time soon, but if you live here or are coming, these are the places to go.

Mucho gusto!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kassianni said...

lol. don't quit your day job.
although I will take this into consideration the next time I'm in Edmonton.
ask me about fine cuisine in the Wack! go ahead! ask!

2:43 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Hey Victoria,
What about fine cuisine in the Wack?

8:05 AM  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Yeah, the Flamingo is definitely neither posh nor hip... I wonder what that'd be in Engrish, eh Tamara?

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home